Saturday, June 5, 2010

June 5th, Another Farewell

So long French Polynesia. We have said adios to our last French Polynesian Island, Bora Bora, and are currently back at sea. With a light Easterly wind we slipped our mooring and sailed west under main and jib through the pass without even starting the motor. A very peaceful departure indeed. With light but steady winds expected for the next 5 days we hope for at least a smooth if not also quick crossing. Knock on wood of course.

I cannot really say that I will miss the aggravatingly slow internet or phone connection afforded to the French Polynesian islands or the relatively high cost of my favorite delicious treat, ice cream. But I will definitely miss yummy cheap baguette bread (which we loaded up on before leaving) and cheeses and I will of course never forget the kind and hospitable people that we met in the Marqueses, Tuamotus and Society Islands. What an incredible experience we all had.

I am also looking forward to the future. Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia are all places I have never been and surely they will bring new and exciting experiences in the months to come as we continue to ride the trade winds across the pacific.

Look for more updates from our crossing to the Samoan Islands soon.

-Alan