Monday, May 24, 2010

My Marquesian Tattoo


I have always admired tattoos but never really thought I would get one. That is until we arrived in the Marqueses where the tradition of tattooing is centuries old. I saw tattoos everywhere and with incredible detail and meaning in their design and I was hooked. The first introduction to tattoos was from explorers like Captain James Cook who brought back drawings and tales of the tattooed inhabitants of these remote islands. Some crew members of those first voyages even chose to remember their trip by receiving tattoos themselves so in some ways I have followed in their footsteps. A tattoo from a far away island with great personal meaning and deeply rooted in tradition. A super souvenir if you will.

After making an appointment with the local tattoo artist on Nuku Hiva I spent some time thinking about what I would want on my tattoo. When I returned, I gave him some ideas of the things that are meaningful to me with a rough idea for the tattoo. After that his skill and experience took over. He marked all over my arm and chest with pen and explained where the different parts would be but at that point it didn't look like much of anything. It soon became clear though that the detail and intricate design was all in his head and flowed from mind though the needle and into the design. He freehanded most of the tattoo occasionally pausing to consult an old book of ancient Marquesian symbols. The result was very impressive.

My tattoo covers my left shoulder and forearm as well as my chest over my heart. Over my chest in a large circle is a bird with wings spread wide. The bird is the Marquesian symbol for exploration. Birds are the great explorers of the earth, not bound by land or sea, they travel thousands of miles going where no one has been before. In the middle of the bird almost riding on its back are four figures representing my family (Mom, Dad, Sister and Me). Above the bird is the Marquesian symbol for clouds.

On the round part of my shoulder is a large sun or ìOmatiî in Marquesian. In the middle of the sun is a symbol called ìPeka Enanaî specific to the Marqueses. Around the sun are the symbols for moon, stars and sky. Under the sun is a warrior Tiki paddling a sailboat. The Tiki is the Polynesian form of spirits or gods that embody different aspects of life such as war, fertility, or long life. The boat itself is covered in Marquesian symbols for waves and morphs into another Tiki head at the stern that curves like the crest of a wave. The sail of the boat is filled with the symbol for wind or ìmetaki.î

So, did it hurt? Yes, it hurt a little (kind of a like a lot of bee stings) but it was bearable and definitely worth it. I am very pleased with the result and have no regrets whatsoever. I wasn't sure how my parents would react to my tattoo. I grew up knowing that they were opposed but times change and people grow up. After hearing that I got one, they were fine with it. Hoping that I don't regret it and also wondering if it can be covered up. So, would I get another one? I think I got my fill for a while but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea...just don't tell my parents.