Saturday, January 16, 2010

Food from the Sea

While my lobster dinner is still eluding me, there are other food items that the sea has been providing the eye crew recently. We have been catching fish at least once every time we sail over an underwater "shelf" (a spot where the water depth changes significantly).

On a more recent snorkeling (hunter-gathering) expedition, I found a large Caribbean King Crab that we boiled for our first crab dinner. Today I brought back 3 large conch (which are legal for harvesting in the Turks and Caicos, long as they are 7 inches long and weigh at least 8 ounces). Conch are more difficult to clean than lobster, crab, or fish in my opinion, and can be an acquired taste. The raw meat (yes, I tried it raw) tastes a little like chewy, under-cooked chicken meat. However, fried and tenderized it's quite good.

Trevor told me that he thinks I am forming a deep bond with the sea and the animals I have been catching, preparing, and eating. Maybe so; maybe I'm just hungry; maybe both. I hope the sea continues to be so generous ... and that I catch some lobster soon.